Palm Beach County’s Green Schools Recognition Program (GSRP) encourages public and private schools to create cultures of sustainability and promote learning that will empower students to envision and then create a more sustainable future. The program recognizes schools that have made strides in:
- Making school grounds enhancements that encourage the use of the grounds as a learning environment and enhance the areas ecological integrity.
- Enhancing school sustainability through the conservation of energy, water, reduction of solid waste and transportation.
- Integrating curriculum that will prepare students to understand and act on current and future environmental challenges facing south Florida.
- Involvement with the community that fosters partnerships within the school and local organizations.
- Administrative support through active professional development and the creation of a school philosophy and culture that embraces sustainability.
The GSRP is coordinated by the FAU/Pine Jog Environmental Education Center and is made possible through the support of a number of community partners. Additional community support comes from area businesses and organizations that participate in our Annual Learn Green Conference and judge the GSRP applications.
The Learn Green: A Green Schools Conference and Expo is a key component of the GSRP and provides Florida students, teachers, administrators, facilities professionals, parents and community members a one of a kind experience to learn how to make our schools greener. Mark your calendars for the 2012 Learn Green Conference on October 19, 2012.
For more information, please contact Susan Toth, firstname.lastname@example.org or Karen Aubry, email@example.com at Pine Jog Environmental Education Center, 561.686.6600.