The National Green Ribbon Schools Program
At the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) launched the Green Ribbon Schools program which recognizes schools that have demonstrated exemplary achievement in all three Pillars and every element:
Green Ribbon Schools Pillars and Elements
1. Environmental Impact and Energy Efficiency
Reduced or eliminated greenhouse gas emissions; Improved water quality, efficiency, and conservation; Reduced solid and hazardous waste production; Expanded use of alternative transportation.
2. Healthy School Environments
- An integrated school environmental health program; High standards of nutrition, fitness, and quantity of quality outdoor time [ 3 ] for both students and staff.
3. Environmental and Sustainability Education
- Interdisciplinary learning: environmental, energy and human systems; STEM content; Development of civic engagement in the community.
The recognition award is part of a larger U.S. ED effort to identify and disseminate knowledge about practices proven to result in improved student engagement, academic achievement, graduation rates and workforce preparedness. It is also a government-wide effort aimed to increase energy independence and economic security.
In its first pilot year, the US-ED awarded 78 first-ever Green Ribbon Schools nationwide. The Florida DOE nominated three FL schools which were recognized in Washington, DC at the US-ED awards ceremony in June 2012. The Florida GRS winner schools are: Learning Gate Community School, Hillsborough County Public Schools; Pine Jog Elementary School, the School District of Palm Beach County; and TERRA Environmental Research Institute, Miami-Dade County Public Schools
The Florida Department of Education (DOE) will participate on the second year of the GRS program. The APPLICATION is now available and may be submitted beginning October 1, 2012 and will be open for submission until November 30, 2012.
It is recommended that you review the application preview prior to initiating your application. For planning purposes, please download this application as a PDF: 2013 Green Ribbon Schools Application (PDF). Please note: this application must be submitted electronically, hard-copies submissions will not be accepted)
NOTE: Once you start your application, you may “save and continue later” (found on the top of the page in the darker blue top bar) but only the information entered on pages prior to the page where you stop will be saved. To AVOID loosing data, please make sure that you move to the next page (even if you have answered only half the questions on the current page) and then click the “save and continue” button. When prompted to provide an e-mail address, please make sure you write it correctly. If you have any questions as you complete the application, please contact Penny Detscher (Penny.Detscher@fldoe.org) or Romina Sola (Romina.Sola@dep.state.fl.us).
Green Ribbon Schools Timeline:
- School Application submissions to Florida Department of Education due by November 30, 2012
- Florida Department of Education nominee submissions due by February 15th, 2013
- U.S Department of Education selection of nominees will be on April 22nd, 2013
- Award ceremony will be held June 3rd, 2013 in Washington, DC
Learn more about the Green Ribbon Schools Award.