The National Green Ribbon Schools Recognition Awards
At the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) launched the Green Ribbon Schools initiative which recognizes schools that have demonstrated exemplary achievement in all three Pillars and every element. This recognition award is part of a larger U.S. ED effort to identify and disseminate knowledge about practices proven to result in improved student engagement, academic achievement, graduation rates and workforce preparedness. It is also a government-wide effort aimed to increase energy independence and economic security.
Green Ribbon Schools Pillars and Elements
1. Environmental Impact and Energy Efficiency: Reduced or eliminated greenhouse gas emissions; Improved water quality, efficiency, and conservation; Reduced solid and hazardous waste production; Expanded use of alternative transportation.
2. Healthy School Environments: An integrated school environmental health program; High standards of nutrition, fitness, and quantity of quality outdoor time [ 3 ] for both students and staff.
3. Environmental and Sustainability Education: Interdisciplinary learning: environmental, energy and human systems; STEM content; Development of civic engagement in the community.
The 2016 GRS Awardees
This year, two Florida school districts and one school were among the national awardees! In total, across the country, total of 47 schools, 15 districts, and 11 postsecondary institutions are being honored for their innovative efforts to reduce environmental impact and utility costs, improve health and wellness, and ensure effective sustainability education.
We present the 2016 Florida Green Ribbon School and District Sustainability Awardees:
- Beachside Montessori Village, Hollywood, Broward County Public Schools
- Alachua County Public Schools
- Orange County School District
The 2016-2017 GRS application period will be OPEN on OCTOBER 2016.
This year, all K-12 schools and school districts that participated in the state’s Florida Green School and District Recognition program, will be eligible to submit an application for this national recognition program. *Florida Department of Education will send an official invitation to all eligible applicants with further instructions on the submission process.
Samples of the 2015-2016 Florida Green Ribbon School and District Application can be accessed here:
If you have any questions regarding this program, please contact Penny Taylor, Director of Healthy Schools, FL-DEO (Penny.Taylor@fldoe.org).
Green Ribbon Schools Timeline:
- School Application submissions to Florida Department of Education due by December 04, 2015
- Florida Department of Education nominee submissions due by February 01, 2016
- U.S Department of Education selection of nominees will be on April 22, 2016
- Award ceremony will be held July 20, 2016 in D.C..
Learn more about the Green Ribbon Schools Award.