The National Green Ribbon Schools Recognition Awards
At the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) launched the Green Ribbon Schools initiative which recognizes schools that have demonstrated exemplary achievement in all three Pillars and every element. This recognition award is part of a larger U.S. ED effort to identify and disseminate knowledge about practices proven to result in improved student engagement, academic achievement, graduation rates and workforce preparedness. It is also a government-wide effort aimed to increase energy independence and economic security.
Green Ribbon Schools Pillars and Elements
1. Environmental Impact and Energy Efficiency: Reduced or eliminated greenhouse gas emissions; Improved water quality, efficiency, and conservation; Reduced solid and hazardous waste production; Expanded use of alternative transportation.
2. Healthy School Environments: An integrated school environmental health program; High standards of nutrition, fitness, and quantity of quality outdoor time [ 3 ] for both students and staff.
3. Environmental and Sustainability Education: Interdisciplinary learning: environmental, energy and human systems; STEM content; Development of civic engagement in the community.
FL GRS 2014-2015
FL’s Green Ribbon Schools Application Now Closed!
The FL-DOE participated in the fourth year of the US-ED Green Ribbon Schools. Each state can nominate up to a combination of FIVE schools and/or school districts for the 2014-15 National GRS award.
The Florida Green Ribbon Schools application period for the 2014-2015 school year is officially closed. Completed applications are now being reviewed by a statewide selection committee and undergoing a compliance screen by several state agencies.
Schools will be notified of their status by Mid-March. Selected schools and districts may need to provide additional information before applications are sent to the U.S. Department of Education (February 1st, 2015). National winners will be announced on April 22nd, 2015, and recognized on July, 2015 (DTA) during the fourth national U.S. ED Green Ribbon Schools ceremony in Washington, D.C.
To review this year’s GRS application please access the PDF versions below:
SCHOOL Application: (PDF)
DISTRICT Application: (PDF)
Green Ribbon Schools Timeline:
- School Application submissions to Florida Department of Education due by December 05, 2014
- Florida Department of Education nominee submissions due by February 01, 2015
- U.S Department of Education selection of nominees will be on April 22, 2015
- Award ceremony will be held July 22, 2015 in Washington, DC
Learn more about the Green Ribbon Schools Award.