The National Green Ribbon Schools Recognition Awards
At the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) launched the Green Ribbon Schools initiative which recognizes schools that have demonstrated exemplary achievement in all three Pillars and every element. This recognition award is part of a larger U.S. ED effort to identify and disseminate knowledge about practices proven to result in improved student engagement, academic achievement, graduation rates and workforce preparedness. It is also a government-wide effort aimed to increase energy independence and economic security.
Green Ribbon Schools Pillars and Elements
1. Environmental Impact and Energy Efficiency: Reduced or eliminated greenhouse gas emissions; Improved water quality, efficiency, and conservation; Reduced solid and hazardous waste production; Expanded use of alternative transportation.
2. Healthy School Environments: An integrated school environmental health program; High standards of nutrition, fitness, and quantity of quality outdoor time [ 3 ] for both students and staff.
3. Environmental and Sustainability Education: Interdisciplinary learning: environmental, energy and human systems; STEM content; Development of civic engagement in the community.
FL GRS 2013-2014
The FL-DOE has announced that Florida will participate for the third year in the US-ED Green Ribbon Schools. We are eager for Forida’s schools and districts to apply for this important national recognition. Each state can nominate up to FOUR schools and ONE school district for the 2013-14 GRS award.
The links to the school and school district applications will be active and listed below in the upcoming weeks. Those interested may submit their applications beginning October 1, 2013, through November 29, 2013.
FLORIDA SCHOOLS click HERE to access the 2014 FL Green Ribbon School application (estimated completion time 53 minutes)
FLORIDA SCHOOL DISTRICTS click HERE to access the 2014 FL Green Ribbon School Districts application (estimated completion time 21 minutes)
For planning purposes, you may want to download a WORD version of the applications:
FL GRS School Application: (Word)
FL GRS District Application: (Word)
Green Ribbon Schools Timeline:
- School Application submissions to Florida Department of Education due by November 29, 2013
- Florida Department of Education nominee submissions due by February 1, 2014
- U.S Department of Education selection of nominees will be on April 22nd, 2014
- Award ceremony will be held July 22, 2014 in Washington, DC
Learn more about the Green Ribbon Schools Award.