The National Green Ribbon Schools Recognition Awards
At the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) launched the Green Ribbon Schools initiative which recognizes schools that have demonstrated exemplary achievement in all three Pillars and every element. This recognition award is part of a larger U.S. ED effort to identify and disseminate knowledge about practices proven to result in improved student engagement, academic achievement, graduation rates and workforce preparedness. It is also a government-wide effort aimed to increase energy independence and economic security.
Green Ribbon Schools Pillars and Elements
1. Environmental Impact and Energy Efficiency: Reduced or eliminated greenhouse gas emissions; Improved water quality, efficiency, and conservation; Reduced solid and hazardous waste production; Expanded use of alternative transportation.
2. Healthy School Environments: An integrated school environmental health program; High standards of nutrition, fitness, and quantity of quality outdoor time [ 3 ] for both students and staff.
3. Environmental and Sustainability Education: Interdisciplinary learning: environmental, energy and human systems; STEM content; Development of civic engagement in the community.
FL GRS 2014-2015
In the 4th year of this program, the Florida DOE nominated three FL schools which have been recognized and awarded with this national recognition. The 2015 Florida GRS honorees are: Manatee Elementary School, Viera; Pine View School for the Gifted, Osprey; and Odyssey Charter School, Palm Bay.
The three Florida schools awarded are among 58 schools, 14 districts, and 9 postsecondary institutions nationwide that were honored for their exemplary efforts this year. A full list of awardees can be accessed here: http://www.ed.gov/programs/green-ribbon-schools/awards.html.
The 2016 GRS application period will be open in the Fall 2015. Please keep visiting us for further updates!
Green Ribbon Schools Timeline:
- School Application submissions to Florida Department of Education due by December 05, 2014
- Florida Department of Education nominee submissions due by February 01, 2015
- U.S Department of Education selection of nominees will be on April 22, 2015
- Award ceremony will be held June 3, 2015 in Washington, DC
Learn more about the Green Ribbon Schools Award.