The National Green Ribbon Schools Recognition Awards
At the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) launched the Green Ribbon Schools initiative which recognizes schools that have demonstrated exemplary achievement in all three Pillars and every element. This recognition award is part of a larger U.S. ED effort to identify and disseminate knowledge about practices proven to result in improved student engagement, academic achievement, graduation rates and workforce preparedness. It is also a government-wide effort aimed to increase energy independence and economic security.
Green Ribbon Schools Pillars and Elements
1. Environmental Impact and Energy Efficiency: Reduced or eliminated greenhouse gas emissions; Improved water quality, efficiency, and conservation; Reduced solid and hazardous waste production; Expanded use of alternative transportation.
2. Healthy School Environments: An integrated school environmental health program; High standards of nutrition, fitness, and quantity of quality outdoor time [ 3 ] for both students and staff.
3. Environmental and Sustainability Education: Interdisciplinary learning: environmental, energy and human systems; STEM content; Development of civic engagement in the community.
FL GRS 2014-2015
The FL-DOE has announced that Florida will participate for the fourth year in the US-ED Green Ribbon Schools. We are eager for Forida’s schools and districts to apply for this important national recognition. Each state can nominate up to a combination of FIVE schools and/or school districts for the 2014-15 National GRS award.
The links to the school and school district applications will be active and listed below in the upcoming weeks. Those interested may submit their applications beginning October 01, 2014, through December 05, 2014.
Green Ribbon Schools Timeline:
- School Application submissions to Florida Department of Education due by December 05, 2014
- Florida Department of Education nominee submissions due by February 01, 2015
- U.S Department of Education selection of nominees will be on April 22, 2015
- Award ceremony will be held July, 2015 in Washington, DC
Learn more about the Green Ribbon Schools Award.