The National Green Ribbon Schools Recognition Awards
At the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) launched the Green Ribbon Schools initiative which recognizes schools that have demonstrated exemplary achievement in all three Pillars and every element. This recognition award is part of a larger U.S. ED effort to identify and disseminate knowledge about practices proven to result in improved student engagement, academic achievement, graduation rates and workforce preparedness. It is also a government-wide effort aimed to increase energy independence and economic security.
Green Ribbon Schools Pillars and Elements
1. Environmental Impact and Energy Efficiency: Reduced or eliminated greenhouse gas emissions; Improved water quality, efficiency, and conservation; Reduced solid and hazardous waste production; Expanded use of alternative transportation.
2. Healthy School Environments: An integrated school environmental health program; High standards of nutrition, fitness, and quantity of quality outdoor time [ 3 ] for both students and staff.
3. Environmental and Sustainability Education: Interdisciplinary learning: environmental, energy and human systems; STEM content; Development of civic engagement in the community.
The 2015-2016 GRS application period is OPEN from OCTOBER 1st, 2015 through DECEMBER 4th, 2015.
This year, all of the K-12 schools and school districts that participated in the state’s Florida Green School and District Recognition program, are eligible to submit an application for this national recognition program. *Florida Department of Education will send an official invitation to all eligible applicants with further instructions on the submission process.
by 5:00 p.m. on December 4, 2015.
Samples of the 2015-2016 Florida Green Ribbon School and District Application can be accessed here:
If you have any questions regarding this program, please contact Penny Taylor, Director of Healthy Schools, FL-DEO (Penny.Taylor@fldoe.org).
Green Ribbon Schools Timeline:
- School Application submissions to Florida Department of Education due by December 04, 2015
- Florida Department of Education nominee submissions due by February 01, 2016
- U.S Department of Education selection of nominees will be on April 22, 2016
- Award ceremony will be held Summer 2016
Learn more about the Green Ribbon Schools Award.